• H.

Fried Cod

For two cod to copulate, the female will wade her way into the territory of a male and lie motionless on the sea floor. If the male is interested, he performs a ritual dance (swimming in circles while rapidly flapping his fins) and producing a drumming sound from his swim bladder (which is normally used to keep fish buoyant if they are not swimming). At this point, if both fish are satisfied with each other, the female will rise above the male and the male flips into a ventral mount, his anal fins locked with hers. Because the male can't exactly "insert" himself into the female, he will push/pull himself as close to the female's genitals as he can, often leading to the two rising to the surface. Roughly 90% of the female's eggs will be fertilized by the intended male; the other 10% will attract nearby males who release their sperm into the open water, chancing an unlikely fertilization.


Prep: 15 min | Cooking: 10 min | Total: 25 min


INGREDIENTS

  • Large Eggs (1)

  • Milk (1/2 cup)

  • Apple cider vinegar (1/2 tsp)

  • Honey (1 tbsp)

  • Cod fillets (4)

  • Frying oil

  • Flour (1/2 cup)

  • Panko (1/2 cup)

  • Paprika (1/2 tsp)

  • Onion powder (1 tsp)

  • Salt (1/2 tsp)

  • Black pepper (1/4 tsp)


DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vinegar, and honey. Set fish fillets into mixture, covered completely, and let soak.

  2. Fill a deep skillet with 1 inch of oil. Set heat to medium-high.

  3. In another bowl, stir together flour, panko, paprika, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Transfer to a shallow bowl or deep plate. One by one, coat cod fillets in flour mixture and fry in oil for about 3 minutes per side or until dark golden brown. Pat dry with paper towels. Serve with french fries or pickled onions.


5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

©2020 by Food Quickies. Proudly created with Wix.com